WHAT ARE SOME IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT HOW TO GUARD AGAINST CREDIT CARD FRAUD
– Here are some important tips about Guarding Against Credit Card Fraud for shoppers and merchants.
WHAT TO DO:
– Sign your cards as soon as they arrive.
– Carry your cards separately from your wallet, in a zippered compartment, a business card holder, or another small pouch.
– Keep a record of your account numbers, their expiration dates, and the phone number and address of each company in a secure place.
– Keep an eye on your card during the transaction, and get it back as quickly as possible.
– Void incorrect receipts.
– Destroy carbons.
– Save receipts to compare with billing statements.
– Open bills promptly and reconcile accounts monthly, just as you would your checking account.
– Report any questionable charges promptly and in writing to the card issuer.
– Notify card companies in advance of a change in address.
The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft and other fraud-related complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.